Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Too Careful?

So where do you stand with DWD?


You know:  Driving While Distracted

I don't do it. I don't dig it.  And I don't let other people do it to me.  I say "to me" because I'm very clear that I can't make other people do anything with/in/or about their car, but because I do love and care about myself, I can tell (ask) while I'm in your car that you don't drive while distracted.

Today that's most likely to mean driving while texting or talking on your cell phone (if you want to discuss driving while putting on make-up, or screaming at the kids or even driving drunk...do it in your own blog).  Because the statistics attached to texting and talking on cell phone while driving represent a new brand of intentional killing (not to mention those accidents that leave people badly hurt, sentenced to a wheelchair and brain dead).

Statistics report that "Drivers that use cell phones are four times as likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves (NHTSA, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)."

So you might ask yourself, ponder, give this a bit of thought before your next driving while distracted choice:  Do I care about the well-being of the person sitting next me  to as I drive and text? Do I care about the well-being of the people riding in my backseat while drive and dial? Last but not least, do I love and care about my own well-being enough to make the choice not to drive while distracted?

Seems to me its not rocket-science; because you don't have to do it. There's truly nothing so important that you must divide your attention between driving (keeping your eyes on the road) and texting (or dialing on your cell phone). Unless you're a medical personnel trying to save someone's life or a agent of the Governor trying to stop the 12th hour lethal injection of an innocent man...I say there is nothing that important that you have to try to drive safely while distracted! Nothing!

Go ahead...use your cell phone as much and as many hours as you like (it does keep the cell phone companies happy) but do pull into a 7-11, pull off the side of the road or wait until you there to text or dial your celly - it can save lives - maybe even your own.

Look at this way, there are so many things in life that you can't do anything about to make the world a safer, better, more peaceful place to live; you can't stop nuclear warfare, you can't stop drug trafficking, you can't even stop the price of gas from going sky high so that you can drive the car you're driving while distracted.

But this, this is something real and very easy with immediate results you can do that says I love and care about the people in my car, I love and care about the world community, I love and care about myself.

Or maybe you think I'm just being too careful?

Loving Thought
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
The Dalai Lama

 
Ade,
Peace

To be continued...